Flavour @ Bristol Estate
Bristol Estate Leaseholders and Tenants Association (BELTA) are pleased to announce that the community hub is to host an exciting project until Feb 2021.
On Friday 16th October, Flavour will take up temporary lodgings at Bristol Estate Community Hub. Phil Holtam, Regional Programmes Manager (Sussex) explains the project:
The FLAVOUR Kitchen turns fresh food at risk of being wasted into nutritious, long-lasting and tasty products. The kitchen will be piloting various recipes using seasonally surplus ingredients (such as gluts of apples or pumpkins) as well as providing volunteer and training opportunities for local people to get involved. The project is a collaboration between the Brighton and Hove Food Partnership, FareShare Sussex and Feedback
Why is BELTA supporting the project?
During lockdown in March, chefs from across the city as well as those resident on the estate led by our own amazing Ana, volunteered time to prepare hot meals for elderly, vulnerable and isolating residents - those most negatively impacted by the sudden situation. The catering team resourcefully used donated food to prepare nutritious meals.
With further restrictions imposed we’ve had to postpone reopening the community hub for group activities and rather than have the community space sitting empty we’d like to continue supporting projects that resourcefully use food that might otherwise go to waste.
Flavour brings lots of benefits to the Bristol Estate community
1. It offers volunteer and training opportunities
2. The rental of the room (which cannot currently be used for group community activities) provides income to the residents association
3. The Flavour partnership can offer support if any further lockdown is announced
4. Bristol Estate has an opportunity to build links with a Brighton based social enterprise, formed of organisations like FareShare and Brighton Hove Food Partnership, groups that supported and provided food to Bristol Estate during lockdown
5. The Flavour project gives residents an opportunity to learn more about sustainable food. We know many residents are interested in sustainable issues such as greening the estate, installing water butts etc
Look out for regular updates, about this project, which is running at the Bristol Estate from 16 Oct 2020 - Feb 2021.